Under California Civil Code Sections 1798.80-1798.84, California residents are entitled to the following rights regarding any personal information collected and used by Career Education Corporation:
- Career Education Corporation will notify any California resident of any breach of the security of Career Education Corporation’s system following any discovery or notification of a breach in the security wherein the California resident’s unencrypted information was, or is reasonably believed to have been, acquired by an unauthorized person.
- Further, because Career Education Corporation reserves the right to disclose a user’s personal information to any third party in its discretion, all California residents have the right to obtain what information and to whom the information was provided by Career Education in the immediately preceding calendar year. Upon written receipt of a written or email request for such information to the designated address below, Career Education Corporation shall provide a list of any disclosures of the California resident’s personal information to any third party within thirty (30) days of the receipt of such request. The list shall include: 1. a list of categories of personal information provided to any third party; and 2. the names and addresses of all of third parties that received the California resident’s personal information within the preceding calendar year. Such list may be in a standardized format and not specific to any individual.
- A California resident’s request for such information may be submitted via e-mail to email@example.com or by mail to PlanetReuse, LLC. Attn: Legal - Global Privacy Practices, 1800 Baltimore Ave – 5th Floor Kansas City, MO 64108. California residents shall only be entitled to have this information provided once per calendar year.
Collection of Information
- We may collect personally identifiable information when you create an account, post on a message board, or engage in transactions through the Site as you may willingly provide personal information to the Company to enable the facilitation of transactions through the Site’s virtual marketplace. In such cases, by affirmatively providing your personal information to participate in the Site’s virtual marketplace, you consent to the transfer and storage of your collected personal information on our servers located in the United States. Please note that the following personal information that you provide may be retained and stored on our servers and may be subsequently used by the Company for any legal purpose: email address, physical contact information, transactional information based on your activities on the Site (such as buying, selling, item and content you generate or that relates to your account), and shipping, billing and other information you provide to purchase or ship an item. We may collect financial information (such as credit card or bank account numbers) as is necessary to complete the transaction initiated by you through your use of the Site.
- We may use technology to collect anonymous, non-personal Information that indicates how our site is used by our visitors. We use this information to improve our site, for example by enhancing pages or features that are visited frequently, and on occasion we may share, sell, license or otherwise distribute this information with our affiliates or other third party companies to provide them with an indication of the amount of interest in our site for advertising purposes and to help us plan for technical improvements. This information will not identify you or any other user of our web site as an individual.
i) We may use a standard feature in browser software called “cookies” to enhance your experience with our site. Cookies are small files that your web browser places on your hard drive for record-keeping purposes. By showing how and when visitors use this Site, cookies help us identify how many unique users visit this Site and track user trends and patterns. They also function to prevent you from having to re-enter information required to use this Site.
iii) Additional Information on Cookies: Information on deleting or controlling cookies is available at www.AboutCookies.org. Please note that by deleting our cookies or disabling future cookies you may not be able to access certain areas or features of our site.
iv) We may also employ a software technology called clear gifs (also known as web beacons) that help us better manage content on our site by informing us what content is effective. Clear gifs are tiny graphics with a unique identifier, similar in function to cookies, and are used to track the online movements of Web users. Clear gifs and cookies are not tied to user's personally identifiable information.
v) Like most standard website servers, we may use log files. Information collected in log files may include internet protocol (IP) addresses, browser type, internet service provider (ISP), referring/exit pages, platform type, date/time stamp, and number of clicks. We utilize this information to analyze trends, administer the Site, track user's movement in the aggregate, and gather broad demographic information for aggregate use. This information is not personally identifiable.
How We Use the Information Collected
Except for your financial information, the Company reserves the right to collect all personally identifiable information provided by you during your use of the Site, and any non-personally identifiable information it can collect (the “Collected Information”). We reserve the right to disclose the Collected Information at any time, to any person for any reason, including mailing lists, aggregated data, other retailers, or any other third party. Further, we reserve the right to disclose personally identifiable information in order to satisfy legal requirements, enforce a transaction, posting and other policies, or respond to an allegation that any user-generated content on the site violates the rights of another party. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary herein, we will not disclose any of your financial information to any third party at any time except to the seller or as otherwise necessary to complete the transaction initiated by you.
How We Protect Your Information
The Company maintains physical, electronic and procedural safeguards that comply with applicable laws and federal standards and that are designed to restrict access to your personal information. These include programs and specifications for physical security and records retention and disposal; computer and communication security measures reflected in system design, password protection, and data management practices; and other measures to restrict access to the data we hold in physical and electronic forms. When you enter personal information into our interface, we encrypt that information using secure socket layer (SSL) technology. When you access your profile and reports online, remember to sign out of your account and close your browser window when you have finished your work. This is to ensure that others cannot access your account by using your computer when you are away from it. We will use commercially reasonable methods to ensure the electronic security of your personal information stored or transmitted through the Site; however, no electronic storage method or data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. We shall not be liable for any unauthorized access or discovery of your personal information if it was using commercially reasonable methods to keep such information secure at the time of such access or discovery.
Our Commitment to Children’s Privacy
Protecting the privacy of the very young is extremely important to us. No part of our Site is structured to attract or provide services for anyone under 18. We never collect or maintain information at our Site from those under the age of 13. If we obtain actual knowledge that we have collected information about a child under the age of 13, that information will be immediately deleted from our records.